This guide is intended as a starting place for students doing coursework in gender and sexuality, and as a resource guide for the Prescott College LGBTQ community.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias | Keywords | Article Databases | eJournals | Web Resources | Citation Styles | Statistics | Organizations
- Encyclopedia of Homosexuality
- glbtq: the world's largest encyclopedia of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer culture
- Transgender Support Groups
- Conflict and Counterpoint in Lesbian, Gay and Feminist Studies
- Departing from Deviance: A History of Homosexual Rights and Emancipatory Science in America
- Ethics of Marginality: A New Approach to Gay Studies
- Homosexuality and Civilization
- Homosexuality in Greece and Rome: A Sourcebook of Basic Documents
- Nineteenth-Century Writings on Homosexuality: A Sourcebook
- Queer Popular Culture: Literature, Media, Film and Television
- Queer Theories
- Queer Theory and Social Change
More ebooks on the LGBTQ e-bookshelf!
- Gay Lives
- Queer History of the United States
- Race, Class and Gender: An Anthology
- Straight State: Sexuality and Citizenship in Twentieth-Century America
Check in the library catalog for many more books, including many from the former Prescott Pride Center! Consider using some of the keywords below.
Books and journal databases each have their own "controlled vocabulary" - using the appropriate language will give you the most specific search results.
|Lesbians||Gay men||Gender identity|
|Sexual minorities||Sexual orientation||Intersexuality|
- EBSCOhost provides full-text articles in over 4,700 journals, including more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,250 journals in the collection.
- GoogleScholar "enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web".
- JSTOR is a trusted archive of important scholarly journals. JSTOR is not a current issues database. Because of JSTOR's archival mission, there is a gap, typically from 1 to 5 years, between the most recently published journal issue and the back issues available in JSTOR. Prescott College subscribes to Arts & Sciences Collections I and IV, Biological Sciences Collection, and Language & Literature Collection.
- ProQuest provides several collections, including Research Library (scholarly articles) and Dissertations & Theses. It provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 3,820 titles—over 2,550 in full text—from 1971 forward.
full text, academic content
- GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies
- Journal of Gay & Lesbian Mental Health
- Journal of Gay & Lesbian Social Services
- Journal of Homosexuality
- Journal of Lesbian Studies
- Journal of LGBT Youth
- Studies in Gender and Sexuality
- Advocate.com National LGBT news.
- College Guide to LGBTQ resources.
- EchoMag.com LGBT News and events in Arizona.
- Gender Studies & Queer Theory An introduction from the Purdue OWL.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns from the American Psychological Association.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Topics from the American Psychological Association.
- LGBT Health From the CDC.
- Queer Theory An introductionwith further resources.
These handouts help with basic citation questions, both in-text and in the References/Bibliography section. Consult the Manual(s) for specific guidelines in writing and formatting your paper.
- Chicago The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition
- APA: The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Style, 6th edition
- MLA: The Style Guide of the Modern Language Association
- Bisexual Resource Center. The oldest national bi organization.
- Campus Pride represents the leading national nonprofit organization for student leaders and campus groups working to create a safer college environment for LGBT students.
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance against Defamation (GLAAD) For over 25 years, GLAAD has worked with news, entertainment and social media to bring culture-changing stories of LGBT people into millions of homes and workplaces every day.
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association The leader in LGBT health since 1981.
- GLBT Historical Society Some finding aids and digital resources available online.
- GLSEN - Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network.
- Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- National Center for Transgender Equality.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Point Foundation empowers promising LGBTQ students to achieve their full academic and leadership potential - despite the obstacles often put before them - to make a significant impact on society.
- Same Sex Couples from U.S. Census Bureau.
Contact a Librarian!